Exercise is important for everyone, but why exactly?
Gain a world of knowledge about the diabetes epidemic and discover what you can do to lose weight and fight diabetes!
Physical fitness expert Dougal McKenzie and medical professor Dr. Jim Mann run through the many reasons why we should exercise every day, and they give insights into how we can achieve this goal today and for the long-run.
1) Exercise affects how we feel, our mood, how we sleep, our energy levels, and even our sense of well-being.
2) Exercise can improve bone density, increase lean muscle mass, aid the immune system, and even improve cardiovascular health.
3) A key component to maintaining a healthy exercise regime is to find exercises and body movements that you enjoy.
4) You must be willing to commit to long-term change.
5) You must be willing to improve your eating habits.
6) The current medical advice is to reach for half an hour a day of moderate physical activity.
7) Postprandial, or after meal, exercise is pivotal.
8) Exercising after meals can help stabilize blood sugar levels. Even just a 10 minute walk may help.
9) Gym memberships are not needed. One benefit of a gym may be for encouraging people to keep up with group activities.
10) Find routines in or out of the gym which you enjoy, and stick with those activities until you become bored, then move on to a new enjoyable routine.