Discover the truth about berries and learn 8 key benefits of including them in your diet.
1) Berries are nutrient-rich. They contain heart-healthy and diabetes-fighting phytonutrient antioxidants, including ellagic acid, vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, and carotenoids.
2) Berries can help lower LDL cholesterol thanks to their phenolic compounds. And their fiber, specifically pectin, has been shown to decrease bad cholesterol in the body.
3) Berries can fight inflammation and oxidative stress due to antioxidant flavonoids, which have been shown to protect fluid within cells from inflammatory damage.
4) Berries are rich in fiber content, which can help lower post-meal glucose levels, aid heart and digestive health.
5) Berries can improve heart health by reducing inflammation linked to endothelial dysfunction. Their polyphenol anthocyanins have been shown to decrease LDL cholesterol and oxidative stress while improving arterial function.
6) Berries can lower the risk of multiple diseases. Thanks to their ellagic acid, anthocyanins, and other beneficial nutrients, they’ve been shown to decrease the risk of certain forms of cancer, and can reduce the chances of developing heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
7) Berries can lower post-meal blood sugar, thanks largely to their fiber content. Strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries have been shown to improve blood sugar control by increasing glucose clearance from the blood stream.
8) Berries can improve insulin sensitivity, as their high polyphenol amounts can improve glucose uptake by reducing inflammation in insulin-sensitive tissues. Regularly eating a mix of fresh berries can work to delay the postprandial insulin response and decrease insulin resistance, especially for overweight individuals.