We’re revealing 8 of the very best foods to help you manage your blood sugar AND aid your brain health!
1) Broccoli is loaded with nutrients, including sulforaphane. This antioxidant can cross the blood-brain barrier, so it works to protect brain cells and neurons from toxins.
2) Eggs are high in cholesterol, but heart-healthy, brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids. They are rich in choline, which has been shown to increase memory and cognitive performance.
3) Turmeric is a diabetic-friendly spice which contains curcumin, which has the ability to reduce diabetic neuropathic pain. Turmeric is also a rich source of aromatic-turmerone, which may help increase neural stem-cells.
4) Dark chocolate contains antioxidant flavonols, which can improve digestion, reduce arterial inflammation, decrease the risk of heart disease and cancer, enhance blood sugar balance, and boost brain activity.
5) Pumpkin seeds provide a significant quantity of both zinc and magnesium. Including these minerals in your diet can aid blood sugar regulation, reduce the risk of diabetes complication, and improve cognitive functions.
6) Blueberries are low-calorie and contain the flavonoids quercetin and anthocyanins. Studies show that those who eat 230 grams of blueberries daily for 12 weeks may have significant improvement in cognitive function and blood flow to the brain.
7) Fatty fish, including salmon, tuna, trout, and sardines, are rich in monunsaturated omega-3 fats. The human brain actually uses omega-3 fatty acids to regenerate brain and nerve cells.
8) Nuts, like walnuts, contain ALA, a type of omega-3 fatty acid that has shown to improve cognitive performance while slowing age-related cognitive decline. A recent trial revealed that those who consumed a quarter cup of walnuts daily had higher cognitive abilities than those who did not eat walnuts.