Have you been avoiding bread? Here are 8 great alternatives…
Many types of bread can potentially spike your blood sugar. But here are 8 low-carb replacements so you won’t have to completely ditch your dough.
1) 100% whole grain tortilla wraps should supply the benefits which come from utilizing the whole grain. That means they’ll include the fiber-filled outer layer, or bran, the middle endosperm layer, and the nutrient-packed germ, or the core of the grain. And eating 2 and a half servings of whole grains daily may reduce the risk of a heart attack by 21%
2) Ezekiel bread can supply a vast assortment of nutrients, from B vitamins, to folic acid, to beneficial minerals, like calcium, iron, and magnesium. But its sprouting process is the true hero – as it works to break down starches and lowers the carb content.
3) Lettuce wraps can be an excellent veggie-based bun, as 1 cup contains only 8 calories, zero cholesterol, and less than 2 grams of carbs.
4) Almond bread can be as excellent choice, as almond flour has an extremely low GI of less than 1. It also has lower sugar and carb content than regular wheat flour. This form of flour is also a great source of magnesium, which, studies show, aids with blood sugar regulation.
5) Bell peppers can be used to create sandwich buns, and they’ll supply potassium, which aids heart health, vitamin A, a.k.a. beta-carotene, which aids eye health, and vitamin B6, otherwise called pyridoxine, which helps your body manufacture red blood cells.
6) Eggplant can be used to create “roll-ups,” and 1 cup of cubed eggplant supplies just 20 calories and zero cholesterol. Containing only 4.8 grams of total carbohydrate but 2.4 grams of fiber, eggplant boasts an exceptional carb-to-fiber ratio.
7) Cut a cucumber in half to create the perfect veggie sandwich “bread.” 1 cup of cucumber contains just 16 calories, with about 4 grams of carbs and about 0.6 grams of fiber. Even though that carb-to-fiber ratio isn’t exceptional, this low-carb, low-calorie veggie still boasts a GI score of only 15.
8) For the very best burger bun replacement, try Portobello mushrooms. They’re a great source of the chemical compound betaine, which may lower the risk of fatty liver disease. And they also contain the amazing antioxidant ergothioneine, which may work to normalize blood sugar levels.